Understanding the value of your home
is a crucial step in determining if it is the right time to sell your home.
I provide detailed, comprehensive, free home evaluations. These complimentary evaluations can help you determine how much equity you have in your home, the appreciation trends in your neighbourhood and other important statistics. I believe even if you are not considering selling your home today, that an annual market evaluation is an important undertaking in understanding your most significant financial asset.
I do not sell, trade, transfer, rent or exchange your personal information with anyone.
Looking to sell your home?
Here is some important information when you are looking to sell your home.
Preparing to list your home
Here are some things you can do to improve the look of your home’s exterior:
- Trim the shrubs.
- Mow the lawn.
- Remove dead tree limbs and other yard debris.
- Brighten up the garden with fresh shrubs or flowers.
- Remove clutter like stray toys and gardening equipment.
- Touch up peeling paint on doors, siding and trim.
- Repair and/or paint any fencing.
- Fix damaged roof shingles and flashing.
- Clean outside windows and fix torn screens.
- Clean gutters and downspouts.
- Clear the driveway and sidewalk.
- Tidy up the garage and shed.
- Ensure outside lights and doorbells work.
Here are some simple things you can do to improve the look your home’s interior:
- Wash walls, ceilings and trim.
- Every room should look as spacious, bright and warm as possible.
- Tighten loose knobs, towel racks, switch plates and outlet covers.
- Fix tight doors and windows, squeaky floorboards and loose stair banisters.
- Clean and repair caulking around tubs and sinks.
- Fix leaky faucets; remove water stains.
- Clean and organize the basement and attic. (This is a good time to throw out all the stuff you do not want to move.)
- Organize your closets. Get rid of the clutter and limit the number of items stored overhead or on the floor.
- Clean out kitchen cabinets and remove clutter from countertops.
- Shampoo carpets and polish floors.
- Arrange furniture to make rooms appear as spacious as possible.
Along with the cosmetic issues, you can also do some renovating to increase your property’s value. According to Canadian surveys, the top three renovations that return the best increase on your investment are:
- Bathrooms (75 to 100% return)
- Kitchens (75 to 100% return)
- Interior and exterior painting (50 to 100% return)
These renovations would be the top recommendations for return on investment for your home:
- Replacing roof shingles (50% to 80%)
- Replacing the furnace and heating system (50% to 80%)
- Renovating the basement (50% to 75%)
- Adding a recreation room (50% to 75%)
- Installing a fire place (50 to 75%)
- Up-grading floors (50 to 75%)
- Building a garage (50 to 75%)
- Replacing windows and doors (50 to 75%)
- Building a deck (50 to 75%)
- Installing central air conditioning (25 to 75%)
Major Elements of An Offer
Depends on the market and the buyer, but generally the price offered is different from the asking price
The deposit shows the buyer’s good faith and will be applied against the purchase price of the home when the sale closes. I can advise you on the suitability of the amount of the deposit being offered.
Includes the total price the buyer is offering as well as the financing details. The buyer may be arranging their own financing or may ask to assume your existing mortgage if you have an attractive rate.
These might include “subject to financing, subject to home inspection, subject to the sale of the purchaser’s property, etc.”
Inclusions and Exclusions
These might include appliances and certain fixtures or decorative items, such as window coverings and mirrors.
Closing or Possession Date
Generally, the day the title of the property is legally transferred and the transaction of funds finalized unless otherwise stated
What My Customers Are Saying
Don’t just take it from me, let my customers do the talking!
“My fiancé Brad and I started working with Ashlyn in August of 2012. At that point we were interested in looking at farm properties. Ashlyn was very in tune with our needs and graciously drove us all over central Ontario trying to find the perfect farm property for us. A few months later she was successful in finding us the perfect place! We were very excited! She was thorough in how the process worked and we went through the motions with her on every step. Unfortunately this property didn’t end up working out for us due to financial reasons. Ashlyn was never deterred though!
Knowing that we both wanted to get into the real estate market, we changed our course and began looking for our first residential property. Ashlyn did so much research for us and once we narrowed down the area we wanted to live in she helped us find our perfect first home. The whole process was simple, smooth and professional. Our house in Wasaga Beach couldn’t be more perfect for us and we couldn’t have found it without all of Ashlyn’s help. She was with us every step of the way and down the road when we decide to move again we will ask her to help us again.
Thanks Ashlyn!”Melissa Bachmann and Brad Dickinson
“In 2013, early spring I decided to move out of Mississauga to Tottenham. i had heard about the pines, a retirement community and had driven through it previously. I decided I wanted to get a few appointments for viewings of some of the listings, unfortunately one of the agents I contacted was more interested in my financial well being than booking a viewing. I contacted a friend up in that area and she told me about Ashlyn. Within a day, I had 5 viewings booked with Ashlyn and I fell in love with one house in particular. Ashlyn negotiated hard knowing what I was comfortable paying for the property and got me my dream house.
One year later, a neighbour was looking to sell and I recommended Ashlyn to him. I told him she was young but knew her stuff and was very pleasant to deal with. They met, she listed and sold his home in a week.
I lived there for 3 years and Ashlyn would often pop in just to see how I was doing and if there was anything I needed, so kind of her.
I totally renovated the house but after 3 years I decided the lifestyle just wasn’t for me so I contacted Ashlyn to list my property. We listed and also sold in a week for the highest price ever in the pines, we upped the bar that’s for sure.
Finding another home to buy turned out to be a roller coaster ride but Ashlyn never lost her cool. I did, but she went right along the ride with me reassuring me we would find the right house and in time, we did. There were 8 other offers presented on the house I wanted. Ashlyn did extensive research on the area and came up with an appropriate offer for the house and explained the pros and cons of having certain conditions in my offer. Ashlyn got me the house!!!!
I have become quite fond of Ashlyn and we keep in touch, she was not only my agent, but now I consider her my friend.Michelle Redsell