A Dream Come True

As a member of the community, I can show you the ins and outs of where you want to be.

Let's make it happen

Country Living

Is living in the country your dream?

Here are some things you should know before you make the move.

A Qualified Well Driller

… can check the well and equipment. If it’s a dug or bored well, he’ll inspect the cap to ensure a proper seal. If not, the water may be subject to contamination from insects or worms that find their way into the well, where they die and decompose. Also, the location of the well relative to potential contamination from the septic system or adjacent outbuildings or paddocks (on site or on the abutting property) where manure is handled is important. And what’s the grading like around the well cap? Can surface water drain into the well? The inspector will also inspect the pump motor and pressure tank for physical condition and proper operation.

HST Applicable?

Will the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) be payable on the purchase price? When buying Canadian rural property, a ruling from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) may be needed. Normally, when buying large acreage, the house and small plot of land immediately surrounding the house will be free of this unpopular tax, but the larger acreage may not be. Thus, your purchase could be subject to much higher closing costs than anticipated.

If you have any concerns about buying rural property, I recommend having a candid discussion with your lawyer before submitting the offer with your realtor.

Water Potability Test

Otherwise known as a bacteriological analysis, this test can be arranged by your country agent with the local Public Health Laboratory.

Wood Energy Technology Transfer (WETT)

If there’s a wood stove or wood-burning fireplace, make the offer conditional on receiving a satisfactory WETT inspection report. Also common for city and suburban real estate, it will confirm the safeness and correct installation of the wood-burning unit.

Your insurance company may insist on a copy before they agree to issue a policy. And if you can’t get insurance, your mortgage company may not advance the closing funds.

Don't Be Shy

If I didn’t answer all of your questions, feel free to drop me a line anytime.

Get In Touch